In-Game Date: 4711, Sarenith 23 to Erastus 7
A small downtime of nearly 10 days came and the PCs attended personal matters. In it, they received very important news from Zellara regarding the origin of Hellion’s magic. Then they were ambushed by Red Mantis assassins sent from Starfall. Daemer also had to fight a bounty hunter who was sent after him.
After this downtime, a small army came all the way from Starfall to put a stop on the nascent rebellion occurring in Torch. Tactical warfare ensued and the PCs defeated the small army with their own units that they have been recruiting and training for some time.
- More Mysteries About Hellion: Zellara appeared after a long time gone. She stated that Pharasma revealed to her the nature of Hellion‘s magic after the Torch Bearers captured a portion of it. The magic turned out to be divine in essence. A strange thing, since Hellion didn’t figure as a true deity or demigod. According to Zellara, we was more like a mysterious entity, made of electrical impulses without a traditional body. But there was more. Pharasma analyzed the sample and found that it had the same “imprint” as the dead god Aroden‘s magic. So, Hellion’s divine magic is the same as Aroden’s. How Hellion managed to get such magic is unknown.
Zellara explained more who Aroden was and then asked the PCs an important favor. As Saruk once said: “I only know that Hellion once spoke about his father being in Silver Mount. And also that he could get even more divinity within Silver Mount, to rule the world, just like his father taught him”. It is possible for more of Aroden’s magic to be within Silver Mount. Zellara mentioned, in the name of Pharasma, that if the PCs have a chance to enter Silver Mount, they should search for any fragment of Aroden’s essence. If they find it, they should use the Harrow Deck to contain the magic and Zellara will appear to take it from there. The Torch Bearers would literally be saving the world because of this. So they agreed although still somewhat puzzled as to what all of this could mean.
- The Red Mantis Strike Again: One afternoon as the sun was about to set and the Torch Bearers patrolled the streets of Torch, a group of three Red Mantis assassins appeared to kill them. They fought from roofs and some closed-in towards the PCs. Then an elven woman appeared and called Daemer by full name, claiming to be a distant relative and to know more of his family. She called Daemer to follow her trough an alleyway where they could flank the Red Mantises. But Daemer was suspicious and didn’t follow, so the woman approached and stabbed him. The woman kept attacking Daemer, even casting darkness to gain advantage in the alleys, until Daemer was near death. But the rest of the PCs helped Daemer after they killed the other Red Mantises. One of them was interrogated and he confirmed to be sent by Starfall and also told that he didn’t know the elven woman.
Daemer, on the other hand, found a note in the woman’s body that read: “You won’t find Daemer in Torch for the next days. He just left for Hajoth Hakados, accompanied by four more. Though he will probably return to Torch afterwards. Send my next payment to Torch’s Boarding House.” Daemer decided to investigate this.
- The War: During the day of Erastus 6, a group of hunters arrived to Torch to warn about an incoming small army, a couple of hours away from Torch. In their own words, there were like 100 persons, possibly 200, and they were bringing catapults and metal men. The military leaders of Torch, the Torch Bearers, assembled the militia (and other units sent from Scrapwall) that they have been training for many weeks. They also hid some civilians in the underground Nebula starship and evacuated others. And then the clash commenced.
Enemy catapults launched boulders against Torch’s walls and commander Daemer attempted to destroy them with Torch’s own catapults, but directing catapults were not his forte. The northern walls were breached and enemy units poured in, bent on raiding and destroying Torch. Ratfolk trappers commanded by Clarence put traps in several places while Torch’s militia commanded by Daemer kept hammering the enemy.
Unfortunately, Torch’s Guildhouse was destroyed as gearsmen units trashed the place and enemy catapults rained several boulders on the Guildhouse. Meanwhile, on the western Riverside district of Torch, Steel Hawk ambushers commanded by Gorim stopped the Starfall mercenaries pouring in before they could wreck Torch’s Garrison. In the end, the remaining forces of Starfall went south to destroy the Town Hall, and they almost did, but Torch’s remaining units managed to vanquish the remaining gearsmen and technomages. The battle was over and war with Starfall official began.
- Praise by the Ghost Wolves!: A group of Ghost Wolves scout was traveling the area, following the marching Starfall army from afar, and thus witnessed the battle. When Torch was victorious, these scouts shouted from outside the town’s wall, in Hallit: “Good battle. Great victory! If you want an alliance with us, send your best warriors to our lands”. And they walked away.
- A Final Interrogation: The Torch Bearers interrogated a few captured soldiers and learned that the small army was sent from Starfall to quell any rebellious forces in Torch, destroy key places that would weaken the town, and re-establish the fear of Starfall. They also told more of Silver Mount: how the area was an adventuring place were many went missing before the Technic League banned access to the place except for their own expeditions.
Mysteries and Loose Ends (some more important than others)
1. What could mean what Zellara said regarding Hellion or Aroden? Could it be possible that when Aroden died, he left some of his magic in the world, which Hellion somehow captured? How this happened? Could there be more of this divine essence in Silver Mount?
For session 40, 2,200 xp were granted to Clarence, Daemer, Gorim, and Remiliano. For session 41, 3,000 were given to Clarence and Gorim and 2,250 was given to Daemer because he had to leave amid session.
Useful loot that they got from the Red Mantises and the elf assassin: keen vicious falcata, +1 enhanced studded leather armor, potion of Cure Wounds + 8 (4d6 + 8), +1 enhanced studded leather armor with mask of the mantis, (x2) studded leather armor with mask of the mantis.
The first session was a varied one, not so intense, which combined role-play, combat, and some tactical warfare in the form of a minigame. As always, these kind of sessions offer a calmer pace after intense sessions like those two of ambushing the convoy.
The second session continued the wargame and was a test-run of the tactical warfare game that we will run when the PCs invade Starfall.