In-Game Date: 4711, Pharast 23 to Desnus 18
The Torch Bearers embarked to Hajoth Hakados to begin their initial efforts towards building an army. They encountered weird events along the way. In Hajoth Hakados, they had to chase and protect a kasatha from Technic League agents in order to gain the favor of the city’s leaders. With this done, they made trade deals with Hajoth Hakados and then returned to Torch, where they decided to travel to an android enclave to see if Valaris could be cured there.
- End of Downtime: The Torch Bearers continued a prolonged stay in Torch. They finished interrogating two Technic League agents stationed in Torch and got information on their ways of operating. Daemer also learned that there is someone (or a group) in Starfall called “Mockery” who would like to fight the Technic League. The agents were let free thanks to Daemer mercifully intervening for their life and they fled south, away from Numeria.
For the next weeks, they went to Chesed to sell expensive items and establish trade deals with guilds of craftsmen. They also crafted some magic items. Remiliano took this time to negotiate with the Lucky Bastards mercenaries for their participation in the rebellion war.
- Onwards to Hajoth Hakados: As discussed with Dolga, the Torch Bearers, now military leaders of Torch, embarked to the southern trade city of Hajoth Hakados for establishing trade deals that could help in their rebellion war. The Technic League is not welcomed for business in Hajoth Hakados, so that is a good place to conduct this plan, especially for smuggling and selling technological items and skymetals extracted from Torch’s underground starship, the Nebula.
- Longdreamer and Blackpipe: On the way to Hajoth Hakados, the Torch Bearers set up camp and at night, Clarence saw a huge, bio-luminiscent moth (bigger than a horse), perched above some trees looking at the sleeping PCs, until it set flight and disappeared towards the west. (The PCs later discovered it had a name: Longdreamer).
On the next days, they approach the riverside village of Blackpipe and decide to rest in it. They see why the village carries its name: for there is a big fifteen-foot-tall metal pipe protruding from the earth. They ask more about it but are interrupted by a small keelboat with Blood Gars pirates that dock in the village. The villagers and their chief Gonton get out to trade goods with the pirates, and Daemer decides to sneak and eavesdrop, hearing about “crazy things happening in Iadenveigh ”, about some business the pirates are doing with Hajoth Hakados, and finally, the pirates are extorting the villagers for protection, although they don’t mind much since they anyway trade nice goods with the pirates.
- Festival of Wonders: The Torch Bearers finally arrived to Hajoth Hakados and saw the city bustling with a lot of activity, for its semi-weekly festival called ‘Afternoon of Wonders’ (see footnote below) was about to start. Before that, Daemer wandered the city for a while and discovered more ‘wanted posters’ seeking him and the Torch Bearers. Then the festival commenced with a lot of people of different races gathered in an amphitheater. A dwarf named Dronkar was the event’s host and introduced artistic performances and a small duel among two goblins and two kobolds (Gorim and Daemer bet and Gorim won). Then the main attraction began: a duel between a Blood Gar pirate and a never-seen-before creature: a kasatha, brought from any of the crashed starships. But the kasatha managed to climb out of the walls of the arena and got lost in the city. Everybody got angry but the Torch Bearers saw that Cythrul and several others were really angry about the show and Cythrul made haste towards her shop.
- Cythrul’s Offer: The Torch Bearers followed Cythrul and entered her shop, where they eavesdropped on her and another female figure (Lady Altouna). Both were saying that the Blood Gars betrayed them and now any secret Technic League agent in the city will want to capture that kasatha. They wanted someone not affiliated with them to track down the kasatha and eliminate any secret agent. The Torch Bearers just found the opportunity to earn the favors of the two women, and thus they all met and negotiated that if the Torch Bearers do these favors for them, they would be eager to make trade deals with Torch and more.
- In Pursuit of the Kasatha: The Torch Bearers went looking for the alien kasatha among the streets of Hajoth Hakados. They noticed that other people were tailing them, probably bounty hunters. Finally, in the northernmost slums, they found the kasatha as he burst out of an abandoned building and went running down the street, chased by three other people: Technic League agents, as Remiliano could tell.
The Torch Bearers ran behind them and a chase ensued. They all ran across slums, gang territories, bridges, busy market plazas, sewers, rooftops, and more, evading all sort of obstacles to try to catch each other. The three bounty hunters that were previously tailing them also joined the chase. Arrows and spells were flung among all these groups. Gorim got stuck and left behind to combat those bounty hunters. All the while, the kasatha ran more and more and eventually was going to get lost again, but Clarence managed to teleport his way through obstacles until he reached the kasatha and convinced him to hide and stealthily come along. Everyone in the chase lost sight of each other and thus it ended.
- Trade Deals: Clarence and other Torch Bearers delivered the kasatha to Cythrul and Lady Altouna at the latter’s palace. They took care of it before beginning to speak about the promised negotiations. The gathered parties established that they would trade prohibited starship items between Torch and Hajoth Hakados. However, Lady Altouna, sensing that there is more to be discussed, probed the mind of Gorim to see if they have entered a starship before, discovering that there is one below Torch. Immediately, Lady Altouna asked for another part of the deal: to allow her to safely escort any denizens (robots, androids, creatures) from that starship to her city. To sweeten the deal more, she promised to connect the Torch Bearers with the Steel Phalanx mercenaries. The Torch Bearers accepted all terms but they do not trust Lady Altouna. Also, before they departed, Altouna gave them an amulet that could summon an aide of her: a man named Ezekiel, who was trapped in the Shadow Plane but could be temporarily summoned from anywhere within the Material Plane. That aide was to be summoned in Torch so he could investigate the ruins, and also was tasked with helping the PCs with anything they want.
Outside of the Lady’s Palace, they spoke with Cythrul, who told several things about items that they carry and recommended taking Valaris to Samrak’s Haven, a secret enclave of androids that could help her.
- Back in Torch: After five more days traveling, the Torch Bearers returned to Torch where they debriefed the events in Hajoth Hakados and also completed several personal things. Joram and Divanya summoned them to report on something odd. Valaris has been muttering for the past days things about Unity and Casandra, such as “what if Unity chases us?”, “yes Casandra, I don’t trust Unity either”, “I’m ready to escape with you to the valley”, “do you think you can defeat Unity?”.
- Getting to Haven: Having decided to solve the mystery of Valaris once and for all, the Torch Bearers departed amid spring to Samrak’s Haven, carrying comatose Valaris, to find more. They traveled the arid west of Numeria following landmarks towards the secret enclave, as told by Cythrul. During this trip, the saw two kellid barbarians being attacked by mutant orcs. When rescued, the kellid said to not go to the west, for mysterious insectoid creatures captured them before and were chased by a eerie flying creature that looked like a black mass with tentacles.
- Trouble at the Glaucite Gates: The Torch Bearers reach a ravine where they discover the concealed entrance to a cave and the enclave. But as soon as they cross it, a couple of android guards point laser rifles at them and sound an alarm. Many more guards arrive and they all order the Torch Bearers to drop their weapons and drop to the ground. Suddenly, they hear a familiar voice among the android guards, who tells them “gentlemen, we see each other again”. They lift up their faces and see Meyanda.
Mysteries and Loose Ends (some more important than others)
1. Who is the Mockery, a mysterious figure or group in Starfall that wants to rebel against the Technic League?
2. What was that giant glowing moth called Longdreamer and what it was doing?
3. What is that rumor about “crazy things happening in Iadenveigh"?
4. What are Lady Altouna’s real motives, if any?
5. What do Valaris’ recent mutterings mean?
6. The flying black creature with tentacles appeared again. What could it possibly be?
2,640 XP for Clarence, Gorim, and Remiliano. Daemer got 50% of XP (1,320) because he was missing although his character was used. A new character was introduced (Ezekiel), who was present in the last scenes of the session, so he gets 50% of XP (1,320).
- Boots of Striding and Springing, given to Daemer, from Lady Altouna.
- A diamond for Remiliano, worth 5,000 gp.
- Three fire opals for Clarence, worth 3,000 gp in total.
- One blue sapphire for Gorim, worth 1,000 gp.
+1 replenished Conviction to Clarence
+1 replenished Conviction to Daemer for good role-play
Swashbuckling Cards: Two cards of this special gaming aid were given to Clarence: #3 (“Riposte”), #19 (“Gremlins”)
These two sessions had a lot of interrogations, interactions, exploration, role-play moments, and ‘side-trekking’, which all made the sessions go somewhat slow. I will try to improve the pacing of sessions like these. We are also starting half an hour late (although I’m also a bit guilty of that).
However, the chase scene in the sessions proved to be fun and the players enjoyed it and found it to be refreshing and original (even though sometimes it stalled due to so many NPCs). Like I promised, in these and next sessions, they would play things they have never played before.