In-Game Date: 4711, Pharast 18 (at night) to Pharast 19
The PCs put some efforts to resurrect Clarence and then went to the eastern misty area of Scrapwall in search of Cherai. They found him and discovered he is a choker, devout of Zon-Kuthon. Cherai promised more info on Hellion and the Ladies of Rust in exchange for his holy symbol, which he lost inside a small crashed vessel within the misty area. Thus, the PCs went to the little crashed starship. There they fought several undead including the wraith spirit of a starship captain. After listening to a recorded message that the captain left, and finding the lost holy symbol, the PCs went back to Cherai and heard more of the story with Hellion and the Ladies of Rust.
Wanting to gain more renown and scrapworth, the PCs next went to hunt down the manticore that has been terrorizing Scrapwall. Coming victorious from that fight, they then proceeded to the big metal dish (the satellite) to explore and hopefully blow it to pieces.
- Clarence’s Resurrection and Parting Words of Pharasma: The corpse of Clarence was taken to the fort Aldronard’s Grave so the sarenites could help in his resurrection. They gathered supplies, and with the help of Eladrion‘s prayer to Pharasma, they resurrected Clarence. Before he returned to Golarion, he had one last interaction in Pharasma’s Boneyard realm. The goddess of life and death pulled him towards her, and explained this: “Your friends are pleading to bring you back to Golarion, to Numeria. I have watched all of you, and by investigating Hellion you people are are getting into something far bigger, and very important to me. I shall only allow you back if you help Eladrion, and help Zellara, achieve my purposes in Numeria. Will you help me? Good. For now, go and collect Hellion’s essence. Zellara knows more. And before you go, in Castle Urion you can seek more of that sword you carry, and it can help you attain more help in the Torch Bearers’ fight against the Technic League. Farewell Clarence.”
- Finding Cherai: Back in Scrapwall, the PCs find that Scrapwall is a bit less chaotic and more tranquil after the Smilers were brought down. They went to the haunted, misty area in eastern Scrapwall to find Cherai. After many minutes traversing the dense mist, hearing moans of pain and seeing little dancing lights, they found the small cave where Cherai resided. They were surprised by ghastly skulls, hooked chains, and a tortured orc, all part of rituals to Zon-Kuthon. The choker Cherai finally spoke to them and he agreed to tell more info of Hellion in exchange of his holy symbol, which was lost in a nearby haunted wreck.
After the PCs returned from the haunted wreck (see below) with the symbol, Cherai spoke with them a bit about Hellion, the Ladies of Rust, Meyanda, the secret weapon below Scrapwall, and how to enter Hellion’s base, but warned that Saruk, a friend, might know more but was captured by Hellion. He then parted with the following words: “There is something here in Numeria of extreme importance to my three-spirited master Zon-Kuthon. The vessels that crashed from another world, and all the fanatics seeking them, are meddling with such a thing of extreme importance”.
- The Haunted Wreck: In the misty area, the PCs entered a small, wrecked, haunted starship where they fought several undead (former crew of the ship), confronting a wraith in the end. Although it attacked Gorim and weakened his constitution (but Daemer tenderly took a potion to his mouth), they vanquished the wraith and Eladrion was able to consecrate the area. In the room where the wraith was, they found several interesting items, including a device that played a message from the ship’s captain. They also found Cherai’s holy symbol nearby, and thus returned it to him so he could deliver his promise of giving more info. Also, the haunting and the mists were gone after they defeated the wraith.
- Yurian Valako’s Message: The message from the ship’s captain, whose tortured spirit became a wraith after they crashed on Numeria, said these things in Androffan: “This is the final report of salvage module Chrysalis, Captain Yurian Valako reporting. Divinity is lost; the rest of the ship’s crew is presumed dead or worse. The surviving crew of Chrysalis and I are boarding a launch and will attempt an emergency landing, but without AI control, the prospects of a safe landing are minimal. I’ve secured an inhibitor facet – if I can install it into the Unity interface, it should disable the AI’s security long enough for us to reclaim control and perhaps even signal for help from home. I’m boarding the launch now, and will append further reports after our successful landing.” The PCs were able to find the mentioned inhibitor facet.
- Fighting the Manticore: With all the business with Cherai concluded, the PCs chose to have a shot at hunting a manticore that was terrorizing Scrapwall. The battle was short but amazing. The manticore hovered, launching spikes from its tail at the PCs. Then it dove and charged Gorim, inflicting a lot of damage. Finally, it went after the gnome Remiliano to grab him and launch it from atop the tall trash peak, but Eladrion interposed himself and received the radioactive bite. With magic and arrows, the PCs killed it and cut off its head, showing it to everyone in Scrapwall, and giving more renown to the Torch Bearers.
- Inside the Satellite Dish: After the manticore, the PCs followed Redtooth’s plan of blowing up the big satellite dish that belongs to the Ladies of Rust. Whiskfiss went with them, taking his pet rust monster. Once there, they saw an obscure, silent, and eerie facility. A few steps in, a crystal panel produced the guttural voice of Hellion, who made a threat and an offer (see next entry).
- Hellion’s Threat and Offer: Through the speakers of a panel, he told the PCs the following: “So you are the persons from Torch. The ones that the weak Meyanda could not defeat. The ones that delayed by plans there. I am Hellion, and I am no fool. I know you were stronger that Meyanda. Such strength should not be wasted. That is why I will be compassionate and kind and will grant you the opportunity to join me in my mission to conquer Numeria. Just kneel right here and accept me as your guide. Then my priest Nalakai will initiate you into the Ladies of Rust. And we will talk further plans thereafter. This is your only sensible choice. Don’t think that because you defeated Meyanda, you will be able to defeat me. I’m much stronger, unmeasurable. Cast your pride aside, be wise, and accept my leadership.”
Mysteries and Loose Ends (some more important than others)
1. Why Pharasma is so interested in what is happening in Numeria, and in Hellion? Also, according to Cherai, this also seems to interest Zon-Kuthon. Why?
2. Who and where is Saruk, the friend of Cherai that might have more information about Hellion?
3. What are the true final plans of Hellion with the secret weapon he has below Scrapwall? And what does that weapon do?
4. Where is the android enclave that Cherai mentioned, where Meyanda could be?
5. What are some of the things that Yurian’s message mentioned, like the inhibitor facet, Unity, and Divinity?
6. Hellion spoke about Unity and the Technic League? Could the two or the three be related?
700 xp to Clarence, Daemer, Eladrion, Gorim, and Remiliano, for finding Cherai and battling several undead within the haunted wreck.
Also, 1,200 xp to Clarence, Daemer, Eladrion, Gorim, and Remiliano, for battling the wraith in the haunted wreack and slaying the manticore.
- Loot from the haunted, wrecked escape ship: unknown pistol again (1 charge), neraplast armor, skillslot, envoy’s mouthpiece, inhibitor facet.
- Loot found in the manticore’s lair: 250 gp, masterwork dagger, +1 enhanced battleaxe, silver armband with pearls (700 gp), timeworn EMP pistol (9 charges), +1 enhanced blinding light steel shield
- While not a treasure, we must account that Clarence had to spend 3,300gp on his resurrection. The rest of the 1,700 were put by the sarenites and the Redtooth Raiders.
+1 replenished Conviction point to Remiliano for more forum role-play.
Current Scrapworth: 8
First, lifting the permanent mist around the haunted wreck earned the PCs one scrapworth point as they emerged from the area and were seen by several denizens of Scrapwall.
Second, hunting the manticore and showing its head to the denizens of Scrapwall increased the PCs’ scrapworth by 1.
With eight points of scrapworth, they are becoming renowned and respected leaders in Scrapwall. The Ladies of Rust gangmembers are starting to fear them, to flee Scrapwall, or to switch sides to the Redtooth Raiders or the Steel Hawks gangs. The leadership of the Ladies of Rust is either scared too, or they are too busy with Hellion’s plans, to mount a counteroffensive.
The events in this recap happened in two sessions. The first one was quite a regular session that went a bit slow in part due to roleplaying but mostly because I decided to prolong the player’s exploration of Scrapwall’s misty area and the haunted wreck, as I was enjoying the paranoia they had during that. Then the other session went faster and with more action. They battled a wraith, investigated more, hunted a manticore, and continued to another mission. Overall, there was quite enough combat, damage, and roleplay, and I’m satisfied how things went.