In-Game Date: 4711, Desnus 31 to Sarenith 15
The Torch Bearers continued their ascension up the underground deep well in Chesed, being pursued by macabre kytons bent on kidnapping them. Through cooperation, they managed to escape such dungeon with Velesk alive, who pledged support in the PCs’ war against the Technic League. With this mission completed, the PCs journeyed towards Castle Urion to see how they could help in the war. But after an afternoon of introductions and talks, the PCs were caught in the middle of a demonic invasion of the castle.
- Climbing to Safety: The Torch Bearers kept rappelling up the deep well under Chesed to escape the kyton jailers who wanted to kidnap them and the prisoners they rescued. Through well-done climbing attempts, cooperation, attacks towards the kytons, and the useful teleportation magic of Clarence, they safely reached the top with Velesk (except Daemer, who fell all the way down to the bottom water). Unfortunately, the prisoners Proktur and Carpio were kidnapped too to the Plane of Shadows, probably to be tortured until they too become kytons. After all the rest climbed to safety, the kytons vanished. The PCs and Velesk were able to exit the dungeon.
- Pledge of Allegiance: Velesk, still scared and shocked from the encounter with the kytons, lamented the loss of his fellow prisoners but vowed with even more strength to eliminate the Technic League. He went to his old shop and house to gather his supplies, and then told the Torch Bearers that he was going to contact and assemble his old comrades (rebels in Chesed) to join the PCs’ army in Torch. But he also said that he was not going to stay in Chesed. The PCs thus decided to offer a safe haven for him in Scrapwall, in the hands of Redtooth, now that Scrapwall was safer thanks to the PCs’ efforts.
- Back to Torch: The Torch Bearers departed Chesed to deliver Velesk to Redtooth and then they continued to Torch. There, they attended some personal matters and war efforts.
- Journey to Castle Urion: For a long time, Clarence has been curious about what a Urion crusader named Osric told him about his sword and about visiting Castle Urion to learn more. For this reason, and to search how the Urion knights could help in their war, the Torch Bearers made a journey to Castle Urion in the southwest of Numeria. The trip took nine days during which they passed near the Dagger River, the Gorum Pots (geysers and hot pools), the Marstol farming village, and the site of the Rosewar. They reached the Castle but discovered that they were not welcomed.
- Castle of Paranoid Knights: The PCs found that the Urion knights were not accepting visitors and were turning them away. Osric eventually spotted Clarence and let him and his companions inside. Then they were introduced to Caroliss Mineran, the leader of the knights, who exchanged some introductory words and invited them to a banquet that evening.
Osric took them to the chapel to pray for Iomedae and revealed that the knights are paranoid because they suspect that the Technic League and/or demon cultists have infiltrated them. The PCs learned more of the situation and then were taken to some guests quarters.
- The Banquet: At night, the Torch Bearers went to a banquet in the Castle, where they saw different personalities: crusaders and recruits, sarenites, Osric, Portia (leader of a group of knights of Ozem), and even Marlow Bramblefoot (who was securing contracts with the knights). They were all discussing recent problems in Mendev. Osric presented a man named Augustus to Clarence, who examined his sword and saw that it belonged to the knights of Ozem, but from the 39th century! (the present century is 48th). Also, the Torch Bearers tried to spot any possible spy in the banquet and got highly suspicious of a crusader who might be a Technic League agent.
- The Demonic Invasion Begins: Just when they were going to confront the possible spy, some knight burst into the dining hall to announce that demons appeared to the north. Caroliss saw them through a window and immediately ordered everyone to take arms and defend the Castle. Knights and Lucky Bastards mercenaries went outside armed as Caroliss kept rallying troops.
Then two men (demon cultists) appeared in the courtyard, mounted on a griffon, but one of them was shot and fell. The other used a ritual to open a portal in the air, and more demons appeared in the courtyard near the PCs. An intense battle was imminent.
Mysteries and Loose Ends (some more important than others)
1. Again, what relation could the kytons have (if any) with the Technic League or the whole plot so far?
2. What is really going on in Castle Urion?
3. So, Clarence’s sword belonged to the Knights of Ozem from the 39th century. What else could be learned of it?
820 xp to Clarence, Daemer, Gorim, and Remiliano. Ezekiel played half the session so he gets 615 XP.
Velesk gave some treasure to the PCs as further gestures of gratitude for saving his life:
- Javelin of Lightning (1500 gp)
- Potion of Cure Sickness (900 gp)
- Potion of Haste (600 gp)
- Scroll of Teleport (1600 gp).
This was another good session with a good dose of intense moments, combat, and roleplaying. It was also nice to revisit Scrapwall. Keep up the good work, players!