In-Game Date: 4711, Sarenith 23 to Erastus 6
Preparations for ambushing a Technic League convoy were continued. Then the PCs attacked the convoy in a brutal and grand battle, resulting in victory and returning to Torch with plenty of money for their war against Starfall.
- Preparations: The Torch Bearers continued their plan for attacking a Technic League convoy. They planned certain actions, advantages, and bought some items. Then they departed to the area where the caravan was supposed to pass. They saw some scouts ahead, detecting ambushers, but they hid thanks to magic (Clarence used invisibility plus illusions to mask their scent against dogs). Without these scouts finding them, the PCs had a much better chance to ambush the convoy in a suitable spot.
- The Battle Commences: They spotted the Technic League convoy coming near a stream and surprise-attacked them while they were crossing the stream, rendering their wagons stuck in it and making the League agents slow to reach the PCs. With a combination of magic, ranged attacks, and magic items, they dealt considerable damage. For the next minutes, attacks were exchanged; the convoy using laser pistols and grenades. The Torch Bearers managed to kill several agents and destroyed some gearsmen.
Meanwhile, the PCs spotted a band of Ghost Wolves barbarians with their dire wolf atop a nearby hill, observing the combat, their purpose unknown.
- The Challenge Rises: Fearing for their lives, the convoy upped up the ante. They were transporting a chimera pet and guardian inside one wagon, so they let it out to attack. Also, the convoy leader, lieutenant Zaitev, took out a rocket launcher and fired one at the PCs. The blast was serious and Clarence almost died again. The situation got really dire for the Torch Bearers.
- Overturning the Odds: But the PCs overturned the odds thanks to their careful planning, for they had hid two charges of cylex near the stream. Clarence used his telekinesis to get one charge closer to the convoy… and Remiliano detonated it. The blast was so immense that it blew two wagons, killed several agents and gearsmen, and Remiliano blew up more horses! The chimera and the remaining robots were destroyed. Zaitev launched another rocket at the PCs and this prompted them to use Clarence’s magic to teleport to Zaitev and beat him dead.
- A Tornado!: But not all danger was gone. While fighting Zaitev, a tornado formed nearby and headed towards the caravan! They hurried up in destroying Zaitev and gathering the wagons to drive them fast out of the tornado’s path. But Remiliano miraculously conjured a smaller lesser tornado and clashed it against the big one, debilitating the latter and changing its course. Such a great feat of might bought them more time and more victory.
- The Ghost Wolves Pursue: The last problem came when the nearby Ghost Wolves decided to pursue the convoy, now in the hands of the Torch Bearers, apparently to raid it. But the drivers that the PCs hired managed to outrun the Ghost Wolves and thus they headed towards Torch. Capturing the convoy wasn’t easy, but they managed it, and now the PCs have a better chance of striking at Starfall and changing the politics of Numeria.
Mysteries and Loose Ends (some more important than others)
Nothing new at the moment.
This intense adventure netted the PCs these experience points: 5,000 to Daemer, Gorim, and Remiliano. 4,200 to Clarence (he missed the session 38 but his character was used so he got 50% out of it). 3,800 to Ezekiel because he was only present during half of the session on both sessions (so, 75% each).
Some special items that they got from the caravan were: Cardioamp, Trauma Pack, Inferno Grenade, Signal Booster, Commset, Nanite Canister x3, Battery x10, veemod goggles (white), amulet of health +1, timeworn stun gun.
The rest of mundane items were given to the units of their growing army.
Also, gold and jewelry stolen from the caravan are going to be used for the war efforts.
Finally, I discounted money from items bought (potions, feather tokens, etc) and discounted the cylex too.
These were two rather-intense sessions; this recap doesn’t do any justice to the adventure. I wasn’t pulling any punches. Yet with your preparations and ideas, you were able to defeat what could be the second-most harder adventure so far (the first could be all the fight against Hellion and his minions).
So yeah, the sessions were awesome. And the way you defeated the tornado was the most insane manner I could have imagined.