In-Game Date: 4711, Pharast 9
After a two-week hiatus, we recapped the last session and current goals, and then moved to some investigations and reunions with NPCs to see how the PCs could deal with the Ladies of Rust and the Smilers. Then, in order to recruit Sevroth and the Steel Hawks, the PCs decided to fulfill Sevroth’s request: to eradicate the Smiler Birdfood and return the Steel Hawk base to Sevroth. Sadly, things did not finished as expected.
- Reunion with Redtooth and Sevroth: Remiliano and the other Torch Bearers went to Redtooth to speak more things about a plan to defeat the Smilers and undermine the Ladies of Rust. They agreed on certain things, like looking for an apt territory and setting traps and ambushes, but Redtooth honestly said that she was skeptical of the PCs’ abilities against the Smilers. Sevroth later was also skeptical. So, they proposed to take down the Smiler known as Birdfood, who overtook the Steel Hawks, and prove their strength.
- Other Investigations: The PCs also did other minor investigations. They learned that the Smilers’ leader is a female hobgoblin known as Marrow, who practices necromancy. The Smilers also practice cannibalism and are addicted to a drug called ‘soothe’ that they manufacture. Finally, they asked more about the giant metal plate or dish that is mounted on top of a trash wall. They learned that it points to the direction of Torch. Redtooth told them that the dish belongs to the Ladies of Rust and that she has plans for such dish, but they must first bring her brother Whiskfiss.
- Reclaiming the Steel Hawk Palace: The PCs then headed to the former base of the Steel Hawks to reclaim it. They prepared a bit of an ambush but had to break in the palace to get Birdfood. They fought several orcs fanatics who belonged to the Ladies of Rust, and also fought Birdfood, who shot them relentlessly with arrows of fire. Once killed, the PCs were exiting the place but orcs from the outside locked them in and set the palace on fire as a desperate attempt. The PCs smashed a wall to escape, Eladrion carried Birdfood’s corpse on the way out, and Clarence rescued three Steel Hawk gangmembers who were prisoners.
Mysteries and Loose Ends (some more important than others)
1. What is the purpose of the big metal dish that the Ladies of Rust own?
2. What more can be known of the hobgoblin necromancer Marrow?
1,150 xp were given to Clarence, Eladrion, Gorim, and Remiliano. An additional 200 xp was given to Remiliano for doing the bulk of thinking a plan to undermine the Smilers gang.
The loot from the smiler Birdfood: flaming composite longbow (1 Str), +1 enhanced studded leather armor, masterwork longsword, 1 vial of soothe, 12 silverdisks, 109 gp
Current Scrapworth: 2
Defeating Birdfood and freeing the Steel Hawks of his grip increased the Scrapworth by 1. Now, the purchase limit in Scrapwall will increase and there will be less pick-pocketing.
We had to cancel two sessions before this one (I took one week for vacations, and the second cancelled session was on July 4). This caused us to be a bit rusty when we came back. But the session was good overall. Also, I’m seeing that when it comes to plans, only a couple of players suggest the bulk of the plan. It would be great if more brainstorming could come from other players.